[CentOS] truecrypt & kernel 2.6.24

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Jun 2 06:31:11 UTC 2009

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone used TrueCrypt on a XEN based machine before? I'm running
> CentOS 5.3 with kernel 2.6.18 but when I launch TrueCrypt, it keeps on
> telling me I need kernel 2.6.24 or later.
>
> "Your system uses an old version of the Linux Kernel.
>
> Due to a bug in the Linux Kernel, your system may stop responding when
> writing data to a TrueCrypt volume. This problem can be solved by
> upgrading the kernel version to 2.6.24 or later"
>
> Now, the CentOS repositories doesn't have 2.6.24, so do I have to
> build the kernel manually? And will there be any problems when doing
> so? I like to just run "yum update" when needed.

absolutely not.

the bug here is apparently in TrueCrypt, it has support specifically for
RHEL5, which CentOS 5 is an exact equivalent of...

See http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19694

my guess is they detect specific RHEL5 versions and the current
truecrypt code is choking on the updated rhel5 kernels, not recognizing
the latest, and giving you a faairly bogus error message...  You can
either go back to a earlier Centos5 kernel, or hope Truecrypt fixes
their stuff.     Xen could also be an issue, I have no idea how this
works with Xen.