[CentOS] Rhel mysql Vs Mysql Community Edition

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Jun 2 21:13:55 UTC 2009

> Hi :)
>
> Sorry for my bad english i'm a frenchi...
>
> I have a little question about mysql.
>
> What is the difference between mysql-server in centos vs the rpm build
> by Sun ( Mysql community edition)
>
> RedHat apply homemade patch or they only backport Sun patch?

No, probably just built under RHEL (or CentOS) rather than Fedora Core
or something.  It might be identical.  Or just a version or so behind to
insure stability over the lifetime of the RHEL/CentOS major version.
Security patches will be 'back ported' and released as release updates
on the base version. If you use the rpms from the CentOS repository you
are guaranteed that things that depend on mysql-server won't break, but
all essential (security mostly) fixes will be implemented.