[CentOS] stock openjdk vs. epel

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 16:42:48 UTC 2009

Rex Dieter wrote:

>>> EPEL doesn't replace rhel5 packages, true, and afaict,  openjdk isn't in
>>> rhel5.  Perhaps a centos addon/extra?
>>>
>>> -- Rex
>> That might have been true at one point in time but it isn't now.  On a
>> stock RHEL5.x you can say 'yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk' and you get a
>
> OK, found it, I'll go known some skulls @ epel.

I'm not sure it's really a bad thing.  For example OpenNMS claims it
needs b12 or later.  But it is curious that apparently no one noticed or
knows which is better.  Has the history of Linux distro treatment of
java (shipping one that doesn't work and being unfriendly to the one
that does) completely destroyed any interest?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com