[CentOS] stock openjdk vs. epel

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Thu Jun 4 18:41:19 UTC 2009

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> Which one should get priority, and where is the appropriate place to
>>> learn that?
>>>
>> by default base+updates should get priority over anything else including
>> epel, don't you agree?
>>

> Not necessarily. I don't see any inherent reason that I would want
> openjdk-b09 over b12 and I'd expect the reverse since b12 fixes known
> bugs.  But I would want to know that I'm not the first person to try to
> run it, which is why I raised the question.

I think priorities set globally should be for base and updates to be
highest. In this case there is a particular rpm that the upstream vendor
has not yet updated to the later release. Thus those that cannot wait
can use yum exclude and thus move to another repo - in this case epel to
get a later release. But as always if it breaks you get to keep the
pieces.....
Works for me.