[CentOS] Intel Graphics support in future releases

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jun 6 22:15:37 UTC 2009

> Since my computers use built-in Intel graphics chips (which work great
> with CentOS 5.3), I've been worrying about Ubuntu's (and other
> "cutting edge" distributions) problems with these. It appears to be an
> Xorg problem. What I don't understand is why Xorg would release
> something that only half worked with a large segment of the computers
> out there. I'm also wondering how Red Hat / CentOS will handle such a
> problem -- or have they already addressed it?

CentOS, like RHEL is a 'conservitive' distro and won't release unstable
or "cutting edge" versions.  Many open source projects release 'beta'
test versions of code, as well as older, more stable versions.  Linux
distributions can make a choice: use the older, more stable version and
thus not support hardware that is 'hot off the showroom floor' (this is
what CentOS does).  Or be cutting edge and include the latest release
(this is what Ubuntu does).  This means that maybe if you install
CentOS on the computer you bought brand new yesterday you might have
trouble getting the X11 to work very will (or with all of the latest
wizbang hardware accel, etc.).  You might get it to work if you
installed Ubuntu, or might have other troubles (because the XOrg
release is somewhat beta test...  OTOH, if you are not using cutting
edge hardware and/or have no need of cutting edge software, CentOS will
do what you need to do and will do so for like 7 years.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933