[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 19:55:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 20:54 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Hi Les, while I understand where you're coming from, I don't quite
> agree with you. A programming language doesn't make security mistakes,
> the coder does :)  What I'm looking for, is which programming language
> will be best, i.e. fastest. My OS of choice would be CentOS, but even
> then that won't make a difference either.
>
> I can do most of this in PHP, but I do think PHP is a bit slow for
> this, being a scripting language, and not a compiled language.

How now, do you figure PHP is all that slow? Since you have a background
in PHP why not use it? Maybe your not skinning the cat right? PHP is already
used in admin apps and it works. Create a Three Tier Web Application to run
on the one admin server. Calls can be made via rpc or xml web services to
the clients. May take a while to think it out in your brain but it will work.
I do it with .Net.