[CentOS] Trouble (?) reformatting flash drive to include former U3 partition

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sun Jun 14 20:45:27 UTC 2009

MHR wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Robert
> Nichols<rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net> wrote:
>> If you go into fdisk's "expert" mode and set the geometry to
>> 31 heads, 31 sectors/track, 16319 cylinders you can utilize
>> the full 8029470208 bytes.
>>

> I was able to do that.
>
> Then I went back and looked at my Kingston - it has 5 "heads," 32 s/t
> and 99212 "cylinders."
>
> Now the question becomes, if I try that on the Sandisk, will it trash
> the drive altogether, or would I still be able to use it, or would
> that fail because there really isn't that much space on the "drive?"

The first thing I do with every USB flash drive I buy is figure
out a geometry that uses all of the sectors reported by fdisk
(I have a shell script that does that in a pretty much brute force
way.) and then repartition and re-format the drive using that
geometry.  I've never experienced any problem with that.

                 Do NOT delete it.