[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:31:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>wrote:

> Rudi Ahlers wrote on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:54:00 +0200:
>
> > I can do most of this in PHP, but I do think PHP is a bit slow for this,
> > being a scripting language, and not a compiled language.
>
> It's not slow at all. I have written such an interface 5 or more years ago
> for our needs and it's split in two parts. I first wrote a lot of small
> scripts that do only a specific task and are controlled by command-line
> arguments. This backend was done in Perl, because I felt familiar with it
> for shell tasks at that time. I could have used PHP or Python (if I knew
> that better). Then I wrote the frontend for it in PHP.
>
> > Ideally I need something which could
> > interact with the OS layer directly
>
> In my eyes this is a bad idea. There is no direct interfacing between the
> two. The backend takes the commands from a text file that the frontend
> writes. One could also interface via database. There is no way to smuggle
> any system commands in because system commands are never carried out
> directly.

What I meant was, PHP talks to PHP script engine, which talks to Apache,
which then talks to system commands. - is there a quicker way of doing it?

> Instead of writing it all yourself, have you looked at ISPConfig? I have
> switched to ISPConfig (2) for our newer virtual machines last year and
> it's working really well. Although it's not as custom as my own interface
> I decided to go with that for our reseller customers because it's closer
> to what other interfaces look/do/provide and it would have needed a lot of
> extra coding to add this all to my own.

I had a look at it, and other control panels as well, but really don't like
it, and don't really want to "interfere" with the GNU stuff. The CP I have
in mind will most probably be for in-house use, but also for client's use.

> Kai
>
> --
> Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
> Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com