[CentOS] link to "commercial support" page isn't really helpful

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Jun 21 12:28:32 UTC 2009

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> On 21/06/09 12:09, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >      This Section or Page is coming soon.
> >
> > that is *not* going to give this client any warm fuzzies.  from a
> > promotion perspective, either that page should get some actual
> > content, or the link should be dropped entirely.  or something.
>
> That page does indeed reflect the current state of play - there is
> *no* centos approved or recommended commercial support entity - but
> it *is* something that is being worked on.

  i realize that page is *technically* correct, but its wording is
quite discouraging:

  http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=12

"This Section or Page is coming soon.

"This page is a holder for Content that is not yet available for
publication.

"This page will not go away when the content is available, so booking
marking it will be of no value. The URL of the link you followed will
be updated when the real content is published."

  even if there's no support right now, you *need* to give readers the
unmistakable impression that it's coming, that it's a work in
progress, that you're negotiating with potential support providers ...
*something*.  as it is, that page can be summarized as simply
admitting, "support?  we got nuthin'"

  i haven't yet proposed to my client that they should consider centos
instead of rhel but i can *guarantee* that, the instant i do, they
will be at the centos site, checking it out, and when they hit that
page on commercial support, that will be the end of that discussion.
guaranteed.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday