[CentOS] link to "commercial support" page isn't really helpful

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Jun 21 23:49:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> On 06/22/2009 12:32 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >    again, no, i'm *not* the right person.  i'm not a centos
> > developer and, therefore, i have no idea what options the
> > developers might be looking at in terms of support channels.
>
> lets assume for a minute, that there is no real 'endorsement' or
> 'commercial support venue' that the CentOS developers are
> considering - What would then be the reasons to choose CentOS ?

  i may not have time to address this a lot more this evening as i'm
hanging out at logan airport waiting to board my plane.  but don't
conflate the two issues here.

  the first issue is:  why choose centos?  and i can certainly address
that.  it's easy to show that it's a good product and why.  i have no
difficulty with that.

  the second (separate) issue is: where does one get centos support?
and i *don't* know how to answer that.  a previous poster listed a
number of places: wiki, mailing lists, IRC.  which is all well and
good, but will mean *nothing* to a large company whose only concern
is:  "if something goes horribly, horribly wrong, who do i call to
demand to fix it?"  that's all they care about -- someone to yell at.
they're not going to accept that they should start joining mailing
lists or hanging out on IRC chats.

  i can say that *i* could try to handle it, but a suitably large
company won't find that acceptable.  they'll probably want something
more substantial in the way of support.

  anyway, i'm starting to repeat myself so i'll give it more thought
and see what else i can come up with.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday