[CentOS] Dag's comment at linuxtag

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Tue Jun 30 14:46:53 UTC 2009

> So we have centosplus and extras which are the repos with
> "access denied" for packages inclusion. Dag's rpmforge
> which is so huge with a lot of dependencies not suitable
> for "testing/bleeding edge/alternative" packages. So
> what's the suitable repo? That's why people are going to
> run own repos.... :o( I do it myself.

We even have centos.karan.org, with all the packages for 5 in...
"testing", since 2007. Oh boy.

Too many repos, working or not, with packages frozen in testing
or not, and this is exactly why I needed my tiny repo to partially
"fix" the RPMforge<->EPEL breakage with regards to the exact RF
packages I am interested in, and also to add packages that couldn't
go into EPEL (like a newer GIMP that would not require any other
library update), etc.

So no, I don't have a problem with Dag, as someone suggested. I only
find partially-broken repos "not Zen" (bad karma, if you wish), and
it's even worse when their SRPMs can't build.

But I *do* have a problem with RPM Fusion and Karanbir's repo, because
they keep packages in "testing" even if nothing happens (they could stay
there until 2014, right?).

RPMRepo is the best proof that collaboration is close to impossible.

And ElRepo is the best proof that other small repos could arise, and
they have a reason to exist.

But all this is on the "expenses" (not pecuniary, but *nervous*) of
the end user, who will get confused and who might also experience
system breakage. (No, priorities don't fix everything that easily.)

Cheers,
R-C