[CentOS] External SATA enclosures: SiI3124 and CentOS 5?

Tue Jun 2 00:42:24 UTC 2009
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Jun 1, 2009, at 5:57 PM, Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>
wrote:

> Tired of "little problems" trying to keep 7 drives working in an old
> desktop computer, I'm considering an external SATA drive enclosure
> with a controller card based on the Sil3124.
> http://www.ipcdirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=152
>
> I'm a bit concerned about long-term support, namely that the
> company's driver page only lists drivers through RedHat 4.
> http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=27&cat=3
>
> Does anybody else have experience with this controller? How has it
> been for you?
>
> If you have experience with an external SATA enclosure(s), what did
> you use and how did it work for you?

I use the Dell MD1000 enclosures with good results, but they only
certify certain drives with their enclosures and they may have tweaked
firmware, so open market drives will have variable results.

Their drive prices are good too if you have a quote generated they are
20-30% off their web site's list price.

The real key is the controller though. Get one that can do hardware
RAID1/10, 5/50, 6/60, if it can do both SATA and SAS even better and
get a battery backed write-back cache, the bigger the better, 256MB
good, 512MB better, 1GB best.

-Ross