[CentOS] release/update question

Tue Jun 2 13:27:04 UTC 2009
Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <beranger5ca at yahoo.ca>

--- On Tue, 6/2/09, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
> Point releases are just freezes in time. There are no
> "special" updates for point releases, only for the
> "current" release.

This is what we all *believe* we know (e.g. "5"-current is now "5.3"+updates). However, TUV seems to have had a different opinion st some point in the past, or at least this is what Johnny understood. Read carefully this:
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2481

Excerpts:
==============================
we are trying something new to correspond to an upcoming 5.y.z release scheme from upstream.

in the scheme, there will be a 5.1.z and 5.2.z tree ... those trees will be available for an extended period of time (5.1 and 5.2 ... each with different updates).
==============================
we are not exactly sure how or even when upstream will do this z tree thing
==============================
we do not have any intention of doing 5.1.1 or 5.1.2, just 5.1 ... and maintaining it while it is maintained upstream.
==============================
Also, we do not plan to - as Johnny has already pointed out - do any 5.1.1 or 5.1.2 or 5.1.3 releases, since again that would be counter productive and leave users with a false sense of security thinking they have the latest patch levels for each machine - when they might not.

So there *should* have existed:
* 5.1-only updates issued post-5.2;
* 5.1-only and 5.2-only updates issued post-5.3;
etc.

AFAIK, this never happened. Is the 5.x.z tree concept dead-before-birth?!

Thanks,
R-C

http://www.flickr.com/gift/