[CentOS] how to debug random server reboots

Tue Jun 2 22:20:07 UTC 2009
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 6-2-2009 2:46 PM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:
> On 6/2/09, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>> on 6-2-2009 2:30 PM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> One of our CentOS 5.3 randomly reboots, at different times of the day,
>>> and I can't see why it's doing it.
>>>
>>> I have looked through the logs, but don't see any thing in there that
>>> shows me why it has rebooted. How can I debug this?
>>>
>>> Here's a snipped from the log, around the time of the reboot:
>>>

>> <snip>
>> Random reboots can happen fast enough that nothing gets into the logs. You
>> can
>> try setting up a console and have the system post there. It sometimes
>> catches
>> things.
>>
>> But until then I would do the obvious... Make sure the system is clean and
>> not
>> overheating from "dust bunnies" filling up the chassis.
>>
>> Remove and re-seat all cards and ram. Make sure all fans are working. Run
>> memtest overnight if possible. Look back to when the reboots started and see
>> if something was added or upgraded.
>>

> Hi Scott, the server is in the USA, and I'm in ZA. I've been trying to
> get the IDC to look into the problem, but they're not very helpful and
> recon I need to check my software. I know the "server" runs desktop
> hardware, so it could be a hardware problem, but they don't seem to
> think so.
>
> So, I'm trying todo everything I can, from my side, via SSH to see if
> I can figure it out.

Will the data center hang a serial port monitor on it for a while? Many of
them will do it for free, or a few dollars a day, and give you remote access
into it. Is it your server, or a lease/rental?