[CentOS] Centos 5.3 -> Apache - Under Attack ? Oh hell....

Wed Jun 3 13:51:30 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Linux Advocate wrote:

> [...]

There were dozens of security updates to php and related apps since the
5.2 days.  You really have to keep anything exposed to the internet up
to date and using secure passwords.  This almost certainly isn't a
'centos' issue.  Someone probably used a default password to log into
one of the php apps and exploit an old bug that let them write in a
place that apache would execute something.  Odds are that they didn't
get root and that you'd have a chance of cleaning it if you know what
you are doing, but if you have to ask for advice on a mail list you
probably shouldn't try.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com