[CentOS] How to remove the wrong wireless firmware module

Fri Jun 5 10:21:00 UTC 2009
Michael Simpson <mikie.simpson at gmail.com>

On 05/06/2009, David McGuffey <davidmcguffey at verizon.net> wrote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of broadcom wifi.

I use a bcm4306 rev3 with the stock kernel.

I followed the instructions from <http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43>

using the bcm43xx legacy instructions

The main difference was that i used the rpm of the bcm43xx-fwcutter
available from

<http://centos.karan.org/el5/extras/testing/i386/RPMS/>

(x86_64 package is also available)

and just set the firmware path in the bcm43xx-fwcutter command rather
than exporting it previously

I do not know whether we can use the instructions for newer
kernels/compat-wireless as while i know some changes from the newer
b43 were backported into the current 5.3 kernels i am not sure what
they were.

bcm43xx and v3 firmware works for me but i have never had much love
from or for networkmanager so i use ifcfg-eth1(or Sys>Adm>Network) and
wpa_supplicant to make the WPA2 work.

good luck and let me know how you get on.

mike