[CentOS] re-install over internet

Sat Jun 13 18:20:30 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

John R Pierce wrote:

>> do it with that? Lanny
>>

>> Interesting idea.  I don't think they do, but even if they did, I don't have
>> the install CD in the drive.  Is there a way to perhaps load a tiny distro
>> on /boot, reconfigure grub to load that, and then use that to do the deed?
>> I can copy the data to other nearby servers, so I'm not worried about that,
>> but I don't have the install CDs handy.  I could download something to a
>> nearby server though, if that would help.
>>

> setup a kickstart server on another server on the segment.   this
> requires a DHCP server, a TFTP server for the network boot code, and a
> NFS server with the centos distribution.  you can put a kickstart file
> on the tftp (or is it on the NFS?  I always forget), and this can
> completely configure the install so it will run blind.     (that -is-
> the tricky part here).   you can at least get console logging via a
> network connection via the kernel module netconsole which you'd setup in
> the kickstart

That can work, but if you have any hands-on support at the colo at all,
you can probably overnight them an install CD and talk them through
booting with 'linux vnc vncconnect=n.n.n.n' (address of your vncviewer
in listen mode). Or maybe you can make that happen from a kickstart and
do the rest from your desk.  I sometimes use that feature just so I
don't have to stand by the bench where I'm setting up a new server.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com