[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Mon Jun 15 16:48:18 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> What I meant was, PHP talks to PHP script engine, which talks to
> Apache, which then talks to system commands. - is there a quicker way
> of doing it?

um, thats somewhat mixed up.     user -> browser -> apache -> php that
interprets your script -> OS function

with a native compiled language like C++, its user -> browser -> apache
-> compiled C++ binary -> OS function

not really -that- different, as theres far more overhead in all the rest
of the process than in the actual script or program,unless its doing
something very computationally intensive.

also note, PHP is a preloaded module, while your C++ program probably
gets forked on every webpage, unless you write it as an apache
module...  ooops.