[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Mon Jun 15 20:45:32 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Apples and oranges...  Ajax is mostly javascript running on the browser
>> side and can work with any interactive web server, where ruby and perl
>> are scripting languages that work on the server side.  If you want
>> speed, you'd use mod_perl under apache or a standalone mongrel running ruby.
>>
>> However, it is probably a lot easier if you want ajax to use one of the
>> server libraries that integrate things (Google Web Toolkit for java,
>> Yahoo! UI Library for php, Ruby-on-Rails) or at least a library like jquery.
>>

> Fair enough, but AFAIK AJAX is quicker to the end user than
> Ruby,although Ruby could use AJAX as well.
>
> So, from what I've gathered here, it could be a good idea to work with
> PERL + Ruby, and then add AJAX for the interface.

I'd investigate perl and ruby, then pick one or the other before going
very far.  The only reason to mix them would be that you want a spiffy
new user interface made from ruby-on-rails but you already have, or have
found existing, perl code to do the grunge work on the server side.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com