[CentOS] which programming language for server-side admin tasks

Tue Jun 16 04:03:52 UTC 2009
David G. Mackay <mackay_d at bellsouth.net>

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 15:31 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> If we had the processing power (and all the incredibly cheap HW that
> exists today), in the 80's, I wouldn't have had to write such
> efficient assembly language code... Much easier today, with cheap RAM,
> etc.  C++ for an old timer, takes awhile to get an understanding of,
> because of the OO, but as a book I have says, before OO, approximately
> 50% of the projects ended in failure. I believe that is on the low
> side. Never used Pascal (wasn't that a teaching language?, but I did
> use PL/M-86.

OO is fine.  Today, at least, there are much better implementations of
in java, python, etc.  C++ is just tortuous.

The pascal p-code implementation was, IIRC, implemented by UCSD.  Pascal
was then popularized by Borland.

Ahh for the good old days, when men were men, and memory upgrades
involved fork lifts.

Dave