[CentOS] Slow CentOS VM when running off the network

Wed Jun 24 13:07:08 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Geoff Galitz wrote:
>> I've mostly used the free VMware server and player, but thought the
>> networking
>> support was about the same as Virtualbox.  What have you found that is
>> significantly different?  So far I mostly prefer VMware server for the
>> ability
>> to run the console and disconnect/reconnect where with virtualbox you seem
>> have to decide ahead of time if you want a console or not - but I'm not a
>> big
>> fan of the new web console in the 2.x series.
>>

> There are two major issues I've had with VMWare Workstation that have
> not occurred in VirtualBox:
>

> 1)  When the host network connection comes and goes (either intentionally or
> otherwise) the networking to and from VMWare VMs fail completely and cannot
> be restored without a host reboot.

I don't think I've ever seen that happen under vmware server - and I've had
guests up for at least a year without reboots.  With player I've normally
stopped the guest before disconnecting from the network.  Are you using bridged
or NAT?

> 2)  DHCP via an external system (router/gateway) often fails to the VMs with
> nothing more than timeout errors in the VM logs.

I've never seen a problem with DHCP on bridged connections under any circumstances.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com