[CentOS] Web photo gallery options

Thu Jun 25 15:40:23 UTC 2009
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Kevin Kempter<kevin at kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
> Are you familiar with Joomla? It has some easy web gallery plugins. Also
> tools like aperature and lightroom will generate a web gallery for you from
> a set of images.

Thanks for the suggestion, but ... to be more explicit, the situation
for which I'm (not very hopefully) seeking a solution is one in which
the web host is both dumb and restrictive.  They are not running
Apache, they don't supply PHP or a CMS or a database, and they don't
allow user-uploaded CGIs of any sort to be executed.  The full extent
of server-side customization possible is to drop a file called
"index.htm" in the directory which will then be served up instead of a
dumb listing.  Everything else has to happen in the browser.

The Text-to-Image firefox plugin (
) combined with a plain directory listing like the earlier example
Sorin posted (
http://home-skynet.servehttp.com/images/privata_bilder/VFR-Forum/Muffler
) produces almost exactly the display I care about, but obviously
requires firefox plus a plugin, whereas I'd like something that loads
into any browser when you visit the site.  Also that plugin is
reportedly no longer maintained and has some bugs that affect other
pages.

I should probably be looking for something written in flash, I
suppose.  In any case this is off-topic for CentOS so I'll drop it
here.