[CentOS] Best CentOS to install on *old* laptop?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 19:31:43 UTC 2009

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> I've found an old IBM OmniBook 800 and am curious whether I can get it
> going again.  (Currently it boots either Windows 95 or some
> then-contemporary version of Slackware.)  The CDROM is external (SCSI,
> I think) and the machine won't boot from it, so it'd require a boot
> floppy.  Any suggestions?  Or is CentOS entirely the wrong Linux to be
> thinking about for this?

What are you planning to do with it?  Given the current prices on much
faster/lighter laptops I'm not sure how much time you want to waste on
an old one that isn't going to be a good GUI workstation anyway. If it
boots from USB or a floppy that transfers bios control to the CDROM you
can probably make the install work.  Centos3.x might be more lightweight
and efficient if you don't need current desktop apps.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com