[CentOS] (a) WinPower RPM available? (b) where to install if use tar.gz file?

Sun Mar 1 23:41:12 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>I need to do a
>>simulated power failure, to verify that it will in fact shutdown the
>>box after 2 minutes!
>
> Plug the PC into a stable power source, let the same PC monitor the UPS.
> Unplug the UPS and place a load on it, watch what it instructs the PC to
> do :)

I plugged the UPS into a surge protector and after awhile, I cut the
power to the UPS. The UPS continued to supply power to the box and
monitor and the alarm beeped. All OK. But, the WinPower software
supplied for the UPS did *not* shut the box down, after 2 minutes of
power failure, as I expected. The reason I installed the WinPower SW
was so it could shut down the box....   Here's the output:

[lanny at dell2400 Winpower]$ ./monitor
 Starting Winpower Manager:
 Done
[lanny at dell2400 Winpower]$
Broadcast message from root (Sun Mar  1 18:03:28 2009):
/usr/local/Winpower/UPSPILOT.TRA
Broadcast message from root (Sun Mar  1 18:03:28 2009):
Winpower Message: LINE-INT in /dev/ttyS0 input power failed
Broadcast message from root (Sun Mar  1 18:08:52 2009):
Winpower Message: LINE-INT in /dev/ttyS0 input power restored.
Broadcast message from root (Sun Mar  1 18:08:52 2009):
/usr/local/Winpower/UPSPILOT.TRA

As you can see, I killed the power to the UPS for 5 minutes, but the
WinPower SW did *not* shut down the box. The monitoring part of the
WinPower SW works well, but their default settings are for it to
shutdown the box if the battery is low or after a 2 minute power
failure.

I will RFM the WinPower manual, but if I don't find a solution there,
there's nobody to contact, so then nut and apcupsd become much more
interesting, again.....
<snip>
> bios powers up after power returns so when the outage is over, everything
> returns to normal.

BIOS is set to power up the box when power is restored.
<snip.
> I would be as well:) Apcupsd and NUT are both stable, popular and well
> documented projects. I am not sure about the one you are using...

The WinPower software for the UPS is apparently proprietary and I
don't see a way to contact them. That's the best way for them to do
it. If users have problems, the problems are for the users and they
don't have to support the users.   :-)