[CentOS] OOo 3 installation

Tosh toshlinux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 12:33:19 UTC 2009

Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
> I tried installing OOo 3.x on an updated Centos 5 desktop (stock OOo
> 2.x was there), It had the following problems:
> 1. Installation of JRE 1.6.0 step failed citing dependency issues
> (relating to JRE 1.4 being required by OOo 2.x and the such)
> 2. after installation, It did run as root ok. but as a user keyboard
> practically freezes during the first run username entry requiring the
> process to be killed.
> I need OOo3 calc for its solver functionality for staff scheduling.
> Any similar experiences? better yet any solutions (a la Go-oo)?
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards,
> Rajagopal
> PS: I use digest mode to read posts in this list. Would appreciate a
> direct reply to my mail with cc to Centos list.
if the solver function in gnumeric would work
I would go with that, ooo3 is not very stable and easy to compile (it
took my last build server about 5 hours) on CentOS and with 5.3 imminent
I would tend to wait as openjdk has been introduced before trying to
compile ooo3
for gnumeric 1.8 you can just add my temporary repo
please enable rpmforge
If you need gnumeric 1.9, I can help with compiling, but I tend to like
a stable spreadsheet

Toshaan <toshlinux at gmail.com> - http://www.toshaan.be