[CentOS] OOo 3 installation

Tosh toshlinux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 12:33:19 UTC 2009

Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I tried installing OOo 3.x on an updated Centos 5 desktop (stock OOo
> 2.x was there), It had the following problems:
>
> 1. Installation of JRE 1.6.0 step failed citing dependency issues
> (relating to JRE 1.4 being required by OOo 2.x and the such)
> 2. after installation, It did run as root ok. but as a user keyboard
> practically freezes during the first run username entry requiring the
> process to be killed.
>
> I need OOo3 calc for its solver functionality for staff scheduling.
>
> Any similar experiences? better yet any solutions (a la Go-oo)?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rajagopal
>
> PS: I use digest mode to read posts in this list. Would appreciate a
> direct reply to my mail with cc to Centos list.

if the solver function in gnumeric would work
http://projects.gnome.org/gnumeric/doc/sect-advanced-analysis-solver.shtml
I would go with that, ooo3 is not very stable and easy to compile (it
took my last build server about 5 hours) on CentOS and with 5.3 imminent
I would tend to wait as openjdk has been introduced before trying to
compile ooo3
for gnumeric 1.8 you can just add my temporary repo
http://rpm.toshaan.be/repos/el5/x86_64/trpms-1.0-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
please enable rpmforge
If you need gnumeric 1.9, I can help with compiling, but I tend to like
a stable spreadsheet

--
Toshaan <toshlinux at gmail.com> - http://www.toshaan.be