[CentOS] (a) WinPower RPM available? (b) where to install if use tar.gz file?

Mon Mar 2 13:27:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 4:43 AM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 18:41 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> >
>> > Plug the PC into a stable power source, let the same PC monitor the UPS.
>> > Unplug the UPS and place a load on it, watch what it instructs the PC to
>> > do :)
>>
>> I plugged the UPS into a surge protector and after awhile, I cut the
>
> OOPS!? It used to be that the manual for all the UPSs I've used said to
> _not_ plug it into a surge suppressor, IIRC. Has that changed? It had
> something to do with the wave form from the suppressor vs. the box's
> monitoring circuitry.

You are correct. Normally, each of our UPS is plugged directly into a
wall outlet. I plugged mine into a surge protector, to do  the
simulated power failure for to see if it would shutdown the box.

> I don't think that has anything to do with not shutting down though.

Either the WinPower SW will not shut down the box after 2 minutes or
there is something unclear to me about the settings. I read their
documentation again and everything is set to their default settings,
which looks like it should shut down the box after a 2 minute power
failure.
<snip>
This was a lesson for me, about the many advantages of Open Source,
rather than Proprietary SW. When I looked at the contents of the
tarball and saw a lot of JRE stuff, and no Source code, I was
disappointed. They wrote it, they sold it to a bunch of companies that
make UPS, but they do not support it. No community. Probably the only
other Proprietary SW I have installed is Google's Picasa and Earth,
but they have Community, if one should have a problem, which I haven't
had.