[CentOS] Cannot open port 631 for Cups printer sharing

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 18:06:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 12:43 -0500, b.j. mcclure wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 12:27 -0500, JohnS wrote:

> > > I don't have an answer but I have to believe that your problem
> > > is related to mine (thread: cups & hp-toolbox)
> > > my machine: Linux rwells-rh 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 #1 SMP Tue Dec 16
> > > 12:03:43 EST 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> > > [root at rwells-rh legacydp]# /sbin/service hplip status
> > > hpiod (pid 6422) is running...
> > > hpssd (pid 6427) is running...
> > >
> > > [root at rwells-rh legacydp]# /sbin/service cups status
> > > cupsd (pid 6453) is running...
> > >
> > >Interesting that when the local host address is used the port is open:
> > >[root at rwells-rh legacydp]# nmap -sT -p 631 -PT 127.0.0.1
> > It is configured by default to it has to be changed
> >
> > See below working config. You will need to have iptables to allow access
> > from remote connections. /etc  cups and hp dirs.
> > cupsd.conf:
> >
> > MaxLogSize 2000000000
> > # Show general information in error_log.
> > LogLevel info
> > SystemGroup sys root
> > # Allow remote access
> > Port 631
> > Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
> > # Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
> > Browsing On
> > BrowseOrder allow,deny
> > # (Change '@LOCAL' to 'ALL' if using directed broadcasts from another
> > subnet.)
> > BrowseAllow @LOCAL
> > BrowseAddress @LOCAL
> > DefaultAuthType Basic
> > ------
> > hplip.conf:
> >
> > # hplip.conf
> >
> > [hpiod]
> > # port=0 (dynamic IP port)
> > port=2208
> > [hpssd]
> > # port=0 (dynamic IP port)
> > port=2207
> >
> > [hplip]
> > version=1.7.2
> > jdprobe=0
> >
> > Iptables needs:
> > -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 631 -j ACCEPT
> > -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 631 -j ACCEPT
>
> My config files agree with yours except hplip is version 1.6.7.

Ok the version I have running is directly from the hplip website. It is
not the CentOS Distro version.  This actually brings up something of
which I really believe that upstream has modified the code (backports
etc). What is extremly strange is that I could not get any HP printers
to function correctly with the hplip rpm from Upstream. So what I done
was down load the binary from HP, thus far I have not have any problems.
There is a newer version on the site than I have running. Why I don't
have the newest is, for some strange reason it does not want to work
right.
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
You can try this but it want solve the your current problem of knowing
why it want work. Ultimately file a bug report as both of you are having
the same problem and none seems to have an answer.

> Firewall is completely down, i.e., iptables and ip6tables are stopped.
OK i see now

JohnStanley