[CentOS] (a) WinPower RPM available? (b) where to install if use tar.gz file? [Solved]

Lanny Marcus

Tue Mar 3 18:29:16 UTC 2009

> Two quick and simple questions; I want to install the "WinPower"
> software for my new UPS. On their web site, they have a tar.gz file
> available for download. I know the reasons for staying with RPM, if at
> all possible. I've Googled and Yahood for ""WinPower"+RPM+Linux and
> get hits, but no obvious RPM. I tried "yum install winpower" and the
> response was "no package winpower available" (rpmforge is one of the
> yum repositories I use, so it's not there, with that name).

I read the documentation, again, very slowly..... Their default
configuration is not set up to Shutdown the box the UPS is connected
to. Once I changed the configuration, the test went perfectly.     :-)

This wasn't the SW for me to try to "roll my own" RPM with, since the
Source code wasn't available to me, etc.  Thanks to everyone who
replied, I have a lot more understanding about how the SW for your UPS
is configured (and why) and a little understanding of what packaging
SW involves. Much appreciated!