[CentOS] How to setup a "secondary DNS server" pulling zones from Win2k3?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 13:47:49 UTC 2009

Alexander Farber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have a mixed environment at work: CentOS + Win2003 servers.
> The Win2k3 part contains: AD, DNS (inlc. dyndns), DHCP, DFS, Exchange.
> The CentOS part: NIS passwords + also a DNS server.
>
> So currently we have to update the Linux DNS server
> zone infos by hand: I export a text file from
> Windows DNS server and then edit it around using vim.
>
> On the Windows side however it's easy for me to setup
> additional DNS servers at other machines: I just configure
> them as "secondary" and they pull zone infos automatically.
>
> I wonder if there is a way to setup such a "secondary" DNS
> server under CentOS as well?
>
> And no, I'm not asking about how to setup a DNS-forwarder.
> (Because I want the Linux server to pull and maintain zone infos
> automatically and to work even if Windows-counterpart is down.)

You can specify multiple forwarders if you have more than one server
already set up the way you want.  Named will find one that works and
cache the results locally for its time to live.  Once you have a couple
of robust boxes configured it is easier to do that on the rest than to
deal with local zones everywhere.

Or, if you really want to act as a secondary, just make a zone type of
'slave' and specify the masters and a file to hold the zone info.  You
will also have to permit the transfer to this host on the windows server
side.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com