[CentOS] Creating an alternitive install CD for CentOS 5.2 (w/patched mkinitrd)

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Mar 9 03:24:24 UTC 2009

It is a public town library.  Wendell, MA is a small town and funds are
limited, esp. with the ecconomic situation, with state budget cuts, etc.

> > The original setup (done by someone else who does not have the time,
> > etc. to deal with it) uses LTSP and diskless thin clients.  While this
> > works, there are some performance issues.  Because the LTSP uses the
> > 'PC's as pretty much bare X Terminals, this means all of the real
> > 'work'
> > is done on the server itself.  With several people working, often kids
> > and teens playing Flash games and maybe one or two people using Open
> > Office, the server litterally runs out of RAM and starts swapping,
> > which slows everything down.  I want to set up a slighter thicker
> > clients using NFS mounted file systems in hopes that this will work
> > better.
> >
> > There is a backup process in place, but it has not been working
> > lately, since there seems to be a problem with sshd on the external
> > server.
> > Even if it was working it might be problematical to restore it anyway
> > because of the rather funcky internet connection we have (HughesNet
> > satelite dishes -- nothing better is available here in the wilds of
> > Western Mass).
> >
> > The main reason for moving from Ubuntu to CentOS is that I am much
> > more familar / confortable with RedHat flavored systems.
> >  Ubuntu seems to have more 'magical' things going on, which I could
> > not figure out.  I think Ubuntu tries to be overly 'helpful', which
> > might be nice for some users and probably makes more sense for home
> > desktop users, but was just frustating for someone trying to do some
> > 'outside of the box' things.
>
> Trying to get this straight, is this for the server or a client?

The server.  The clients are all diskless, using LTSP at present (well,
one has a noisy, dieing IDE disk, but it is going to become diskless).

> What are the disk specs for the machine? Why would you not just buy additional
> storage, even if you accomplish this install/upgrade over the old version you
> will most likely not be able to go back.

Right now it has two 80gig SATA disks with two Software RAID1 arrays,
one 10gig mounted as / and one 63gig mounted as /home, with a swap
partition on each disk (not RAID for some reason).  This was set up by
another Linux guru, who favored Ubuntu.  He is not as available as I am
(I live in town and am effectively underemplored right now), so I have
inheirited this setup and have tried to make some improvements.  We are
going to get an additional pair of 80gig SATA disks (possiblely from
geeks.com, which has them for about $50/each) -- the existing pair are
close to 2 years old, so I'd like to have some newer ones in place
before the existing ones start failing.  It is in a Dell server box
(small tower type).