[CentOS] hplip problems - configure: error: "cannot find libjpeg support"

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 9 15:38:29 UTC 2009

On Monday 09 March 2009 13:40, John Doe wrote:
> > > there's
> > > also:
> > >   rpm -qa dbus-python\*
> > > to check that something is installed.
> >
> > That simply returns
> > dbus-python-0.70-7.el5
>
> In case you did not try it already, have you tried hp-check?

To me it implies that I have earlier versions of some packages than the
required ones.

> Did you check
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/centos.html for
> dependencies?

No - I didn't know about that page.  When I installed it before there were
some  included instructions and I followed those.  Presumably they are now
out of date.  I'll try that page in a day or two, when I have time for a
decent session.  However, I did give yum the command for all those
dependencies, and it did find some that I didn't have already, but after that
hp-check still listed these:

Checking PyQt 4.x version...
error: NOT FOUND OR FAILED TO LOAD!

Checking for dependency: CUPS DDK - CUPS driver development kit...
warning: NOT FOUND! This is an OPTIONAL/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Some HPLIP
functionality may not function properly

Checking for dependency: DBus - Message bus system...
error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED dependency. Please make sure that this
dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.

Checking for dependency: libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library...
error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED dependency. Please make sure that this
dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.

Checking for dependency: libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library
development files...
error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED dependency. Please make sure that this
dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.

Checking for dependency: ppdev - Parallel port support kernel module....
error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Please make sure
that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.

Checking for dependency: PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version
4.x)...
error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Please make sure
that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP

Checking for dependency: PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4...
error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Please make sure
that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.

Checking for dependency: Python ctypes - A foreign function library for
Python...
error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Please make sure
that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.

Checking for dependency: Python DBus - Python bindings for DBus...
error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/RUNTIME ONLY dependency. Please make sure
that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.

Checking for dependency: SANE - Scanning library development files...
error: NOT FOUND! This is a REQUIRED/COMPILE TIME ONLY dependency. Please make
sure that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.

I'll have to come back to this later in the week.

Anne