[CentOS] Clonezilla SE with CentOS5

Toby Bluhm tkb at alltechmedusa.com
Mon Mar 9 18:24:31 UTC 2009

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a cloning solution for our Windows/Linux/*nix computer park
> and ran into Clonezilla. Apparantely the DRBL and other documentation
> mentions CentOS as a suitable base for it.
>
> Does anybody on this list use this solution and can say something about it
> in the running-Clonezilla-with-CentOS-context, be it recommendations,
> gotchas', warnings or whatever?

Works nicely for my only purpose - Windows backup.

Installs like an appliance - it will stomp on several config files
without warning. Best to try it out on a test box or virtual machine.

Had to sort through many small scripts to get it to do what I wanted.
Main ones I edited were /opt/drbl/sbin/ocs-functions,
/opt/drbl/lang/bash/en_US, /tftpboot/nbi_img/pxelinux.cfg/default. Use
only one network, shut off nis master, made it a secondary dhcpd server,
NFS mount the image storage point off another box.

The logger service /opt/drbl/sbin/ocsmgrd didn't work the way I liked,
so I use cobbled something together using nc.

Because I changed around some files, I have to be careful with
drbl/clonezilla updates.

I found it useful to have spare disk/LVM space on the server to restore
images to, easier restore of a single file or dir. Needs to be
equal/larger than the biggest client disk.

I had to move it from an x86_64 to i386 Centos - not all my client cpus
could run 64bit.

PXE boot other stuff like systemrescue, C5 install/rescue, DBAN, etc.

I never posted anything, but Steven Shiau, the maintainer, seems
responsive to questions on the mail list.

--
tkb