[CentOS] hplip problems - configure: error: "cannot find libjpeg support"

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 16 18:59:57 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 March 2009 18:36:43 Roger Wells wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > my situation got a little more bizarre.  The C series driver never
> worked.  At some level perhaps it did because test page's that
> I printed would never come out, until I rebooted then they would all
> come on out.  The foomatic 7150 driver was never offered to me but I
> tried it and it seems to work although I don't think faxing does.
> And scanning still seems fine.  For this to work it was necessary to
> install via HPLIP.

I have hplip running on Mandriva 2009, Fedora 9 and Fedora 10.  I get the full
range of services there.  I don't know why we have this strange situation on
CentOS.  The HP website says it is tested against CentOS  5, yet the problems
seem to be down to not being able to find packages that are definitely
installed, and installed by totally standard yum :-(  Anyway, as I said, it's
not essential for me to have it on that box.  It spends most of its life just
quietly serving up mail and docs.  Basic print ability is all it needs.

Anne