[CentOS] OT: centos.org web site not responding

Mon Mar 16 22:04:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 4:36 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>>
>>> The web site for CentOS is not responding. I can ping it OK, but the
>>> web site is not responding to http requests from my browser. If the
>>> webmaster should happen to read this...
>>>
>> I know it is working for everyone else. Below is the traceroute. The
>> very slow connection is due to us going over satellite (or via
>> submarine cable?), from Colombia into Miami.
>
> its not satellite, or there'd be a hop in the middle that added about
> 500mS to all further points.   speed of light up to geostationary orbit
> (about 22800 miles, +/- based on the lat/long of the earth stations, and
> the longitude of the satellite)) and back twice, kinda hard to beat
> that, and the main reason satellite internet isn't very popular.
>
>    *per google, (22800 miles * 4) / c = 489.58 milliseconds*
>
> (* 4 because your packets woudl go up to orbit and back down, then the
> response has to go up and back again.)

That's good to know. I seem to recall, years ago, they were installing
a Submarine cable to the USA.

Do you see anything in the traceroute that shows where the problem is?
It still won't load for me. I can see when it does the DNS lookup and
after that the browser status is
"Waiting for www.centos.org"