[CentOS] [SOLVED] Re: OT: centos.org web site not responding

Tru Huynh tru at centos.org
Tue Mar 17 15:11:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 09:36:28AM -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> They did. I can load the web pages from centos.org again. :-)  Thanks
> to everyone on the list who helped and also to the person at Layered
> Tech who eliminated the glitch!

<quoting them (Network Operations, Layered Technologies) >
It looks like there may be a probelm with an offsite (non LT) router. I will
have networking investigate and get back to you as soon as possible.
</quote>

Then a few minutes later :)

<quote>
Dear Customer:

I've read through the thread on your message boards, and don't see anything
that jumps out as a problem on the traceroutes. The "Administrative block"
results you are seeing are likely due to default traceroute behavior on *nix
systems is to use UDP as the sending protocol. In order to prevent UDP flood
attacks against our network, our routers and switches do not respond to UDP
requests. The best way to run a traceroute to a server in our data centers is
to force traceroute to use ICMP instead of UDP. On most *nix systems, this can
be done by using the "-I" flag.

In answer to other speculation on the thread, we don't block any IPs from our
network as a whole. Our business is to allow you to make your server available
to anyone and everyone you want to have access to it. Therefore, we only block
IPs if a customer has a hardware firewall that we manage for them, and we only
block it utilizing that customer's firewall and at that customer's request.
Therefore, any blocks that are put in place do not affect other customers'
servers.

I hope this clarifies some of the issues, although it doesn't resolve the
problem the user in Colombia is having reaching your site. Another test he
could perform would just be to ping your server's IP and see if he gets a
response -- if he does, then the routing and switching is working correctly.

Thank you,

Network Operations
Layered Technologies
</quote>