[CentOS] Changing Color Mappings

Brian Becker

bbecker at Jaeb.org
Wed Mar 18 14:43:46 UTC 2009

I have been tasked with finding a way to change the color mappings on a
CentOS 5.2 system.  Basically I want to make an image that is black and
white appear in different shades of gray by adjusting the color
mappings.  I need to know the starting point for the color maps however
so I can make the appropriate adjustments.  I have been told this should
be some kind of look up table array of 256x3 elements.   I have searched
through the frame buffer in the kernel and the driver area for the intel
frame buffer but haven't found anything that looks appropriate.  Does
this table exist or is the problem being tackled completely wrong.

Any help, ideas, or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Brian