[CentOS] OT: centos.org web site not responding

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 03:05:01 UTC 2009

wrote:

> On 3/20/09, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> wrote:
>> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>>> On 3/20/09, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> wrote:
>>> Probably this thread should die, until more people cannot
>>> surf the site. That's what I'm getting, although I can ping it and
>>> traceroute to it. As I said, it's an intermittent problem. Lanny
>>
>> I haven't even seen one try at showing a tcpdump or similar.
>
> If you will give me the commands you want me to try, I'll do it. If I
> get a lot of output from the commands you give me, I put it on
> pastebin or something like that?

It may be a blackhole router between you and the website. Some path
that has a slightly smaller MTU but has ICMP disabled so the need to
fragment messages aren't sent.

Try pinging with a 1500 byte packet and see if it reaches. If it
doesn't decrease the size until it does and you then know what the
short MTU size is and you can set that as your MTU on your outside
interface of your router. A "workaround" solution.

-Ross