[CentOS] How to add ClamAV to Postfix?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 21 18:06:29 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-21 at 13:37 -0400, Xn Nooby wrote:
> I sent this email to the Rehdat list, but I thought the Centos users
> might be more inclined to have the command-line solution I am looking
> for, so I thought I would post it here too:
>
> I would like to add anti-virus to my email server. Currently I have
> Postfix, Dovecot, PHP, and Squirrelmail installed.  The users only use
> Squirrelmail to access mail. I am looking for command-line
> instructions, since I have limited access to the server itself (I am
> using SSH). ClamAV seems to be most common linux AV package, so I
> assume I should be using that.
>
> I'm not sure if I should be using Amavisd or MailScanner, or neither.
> I believe I need one of them to act as the glue that connects Postfix
> to ClamAV. Apparently none of these packages
> (Amavisd/MailScanner/ClamAV) are part of RHEL5, so I have to get the
> RPMS from somewhere else.
>
> Is there some standard way of adding AV to Postfix?
----
clearly the best way is to add a wrapper program like amavisd-new or
MailScanner which handles spamassassin and which ever combination of
anti-virus programs you use.

The postfix list and primary author, Wietse will tell you flat out not
to use MailScanner (there's something personal between Wietse and
Julian, the author of MailScanner) but I found amavisd-new to be a PITA
and just love MailScanner myself and have never had issues with
integrating MailScanner into Postfix mail queue.

rpmforge has clamav/clamdb packages. MailScanner is available from
http://www.mailscanner.info

Craig