[CentOS] Getting ready for CentOS 5.4

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Mon Mar 23 12:32:00 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> That would be very wrong. Since people might think there were financial
> reasons behind the delay, and there is nothing of that nature.

Can gcc/make be distributed? Could people dedicate their CPU time ala
SETI or folding at home to test builds and compiles? I am not sure where
the bottleneck is, and I know throwing money and manpower does not
always help when it comes to software development :)

One thing is delays (and with CentOS, I feel a 6-8 weeks delay is not
that much, ymmv etc etc), but what I worry about is members of the core
CentOS team burning out and quitting... that would be much worse for
CentOS than a few weeks delay here and there. For me it is important for
the core team to know that they can take the time off they need for real
life events without feeling bad or guilty about delaying a free,
community driven project.

For people that are directly affected by a delay, there is always the
excellent RHEL product to buy for a small amount of dollars.

--

//Morten