[CentOS] [OT] Network switches

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 14:36:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

>> * vlans
>> * mstp or some well established form of per vlan spanning tree
>> * acl's
>> * port mirroring or what cisco calls span sessions
>> * snmp
>> * ssh enabled remote management
>> * support w/ updates and bugfixes
>>

>> I need at least 48 ports per device and obviously would like them to be
>> "fast".  Most importantly, I'd like to know what you guys prefer as
>> operations dudes and what pitfalls to avoid.  Also, are there other
>> features you folks would demand to have in your switches that I haven't
>> mentioned?  I can provide more information if you'd like.  Thanks.
>>
>> Oh, cost is sort of an issue (small/medium sized business) but right now
>> insight from you guys is what's important and I can work out the cost
>> issue later.  Thanks again.
>>
> D-Link DGS-3100
>

> I ordered a number of these for the school where I work to place a
> number of Cisco 2960 10/100 switches.
>

> I am quite happy with them. Some of these switches are connected by
> multi-mode fibre.
>
> cheers,
>
> Christopher

Every time i read these posts they are filled with contradictions in
that one person loves HP and hates CiscoLinksys while another hates
HP.  Let's get a more scientific approach.  Switch performance still
depends on the NICS in the client machines.  We all know a network is
a complex system.  Some of us claim to be computer scientists so
shouldn't we act like that instead of advertising for our vendors.

i would like to see real performance data via something like netperf
with client machines booted from a standardized LiveCD, then
peformance under their Linux Distribution and performance under
Windows.

Performance data would need to have details such as the NIC on the
client machine and other hw characteristics.  How many machines ran
the benchmark simultaneously.  Cat5e vs Cat6 or Fiber connected.

http://www.netperf.org           ( OpenSource started by HP, )
ftp://ftp.netperf.org/netperf/    (Looks like 2.4.4 is the latest
version.  Not sure what 4.0.0 is)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jnetperf  (java version of netperf)

There may be another project from some Italian Professor, but didn't
find it in my bookmarks.

Yes, there is the unix way of time dd ... but that wouldn't work for
windows clients and does not give enough details in terms of metrics.