[CentOS] live audio feed via telephone link

Thu Mar 26 00:41:21 UTC 2009

2009/3/25 Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>:
> on 3-25-2009 4:21 PM Frank Cox spake the following:
>> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:15:22 -0500
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Can't you find a place that has both radio reception and internet
>>> service to park something like shoutcast?
>>
>> The immediate objective is to get the signal to somewhere that has (reliable)
>> Internet access.  The ultimate objective is to stream it online, but we have to
>> get the signal out to where we can do that first.  And the closest place that
>> has good service is out-of-range of the signal during the day.  (It sounds fine
>> after dark and when the weather is "just so" but that's not much help with a
>> 24-hour stream.)
>>
> If the radi station has phone lines, they should be able to get something like
> a T1 or fractional part. Much more reliable and more bandwidth. Or look into a
> microwave or satellite link. I don't think you will be able to compress a
> radio signal enough to fit over a dial line without a lot of loss. You would
> need several lines multiplexed together for a decent sounding broadcast.
>
> There are many point to point links that will cover 40 miles (65 km).
> I don't know how far you have to go.

The key problem is the lack of Internet access at the radio station.
If you can get that, then you can use
<http://www.streamaudio.com/site/services.aspx> (we listen to stations
in San Antonio, TX and Wasilla, AK) or another streaming service.
Excellent audio quality on our end!  Here's what they show for the
connectivity requirement:

"A Dedicated Internet Connection: Whether you use Cable, DSL, ADSL,
ISDN, T-1 or frame relay, you should also have a dedicated internet
connection and public routable IP to achieve the basic requirements
for streaming your radio station on the World Wide Web. We will be
pulling a primary and secondary stream so you will need a minimum of
double the dedicated available bandwidth for the quality of stream you
have selected. (Example: for a 32k stream, you will need at least 64k
of bandwidth)