[CentOS] Installing on partitionable RAID arrays

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 13:27:10 UTC 2009

On Mar 26, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> RedShift wrote:
>>

>> As a follow-up, I found the documentation I wrote how to install
>> CentOS
>> without any installer:
>

> That looks useful.  Do you have any hints about how to get the right
> drivers installed if you wanted to build a disk to be moved to a
> different machine?

That's even easier.

Add the disk driver names in modprobe.conf the ones for system disks
in the top half, data disks below. Then run a mkinitrd.

Modprobe.conf excerpt:

alias scsi_adapter ata_piix
alias scsi_adapter0 ahci
alias scsi_adapter1 mega_sas
alias scsi_adapter2 mpt

# mv /boot/init-$(uname -r).img /boot/init-$(uname -r).img
# mkinitrd /boot/init-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

That should make an initrd with the drivers necessary to boot your
other boxes (of course using your own disk drivers and not mine).

-Ross