[CentOS] PXE-Kernel crashes with "RAMDISK: incomplete write ..." after modifiying initrd.img

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Mar 26 18:56:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 17:49 +0100, Frank Thommen wrote:
> John Doe wrote:

> > Just wondering... can you safely strip modules like you would strip executables?

It's been a long time since I dinked with this stuff, but...

IIRC, there's several levels of strip. One strips everything, save for
standalone binaries (not dependent on run-time linking with a library)
and "safe". Safe leaves the external symbols intact so that the loader
can tell what linkages are needed. I don't remember the parameters, but
the manual should tell you.

I *think* that some symbols are needed for loadable modules for both the
kernel linkage and any references to shared libraries that might be
used. Again, I'm unsure now - to many decaeds have passed since I dinked
with this stuff.

> <snip>

> Thanks
>
>     frank