[CentOS] Getting ready for CentOS 5.4

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Fri Mar 27 23:15:59 UTC 2009

Frank Thommen wrote:
> nate wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>> I think it's safe to assume that the majority of CentOS users out
>> there run CentOS on servers, not on desktops/laptops/etc.
>
> So I'm one from the minority then :-).  CentOS 5 is running on (almost)
> all servers and (really) all Linux clients here.  Being used to the
> "RedHat" way from a former job and not being happy with the fast release
> cycles of Fedora, CentOS was a logical choice.  No more system
> instabilities and no more package incompatibilities since we switched
> from Fedora (let's keep fingers crossed).  That's what I call
> "Enterprise grade" :-)

Amen!  I'm very much hoping that 5.3 will allow me to run CentOS on my
laptop so that I can get away from the half-implemented features and
"Let's see what last night's update broke!" issues with Fedora.  CentOS
works just fine on my desktop.

> I don't care if the CentOS release comes days or weeks (or months) after
> the RedHat release as long as it comes one day.

The problem for everyone is that security updates that come along during
those "weeks (or months)" either get delayed until the CentOS release
comes or else somebody (i.e., an already overworked developer) has to
make the extra effort to make the patch work in the current release.

                 Do NOT delete it.