[CentOS] need trouble ticket system

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Sun Mar 29 13:07:11 UTC 2009

Am 29.03.2009 um 08:45 schrieb Dhaval Thakar:

> Hi,
>
> I need to implement trouble tracking system,
> we have 250 users in one premise & 3 desktop support technicians.
>
> I need to implement trouble ticket system, where user will enter their
> application / other issues. Mail will be sent to technician
> available on
> duty.
> trouble ticket will be provided to user & will be given close stat
> once
> resolved.
>
> Kindly suggest me one such application based on open source.
> --

Hi,

as suggest, RT is a good choice.
But it requires some thinking and planning in advance, and a good
knowledge of PERL-intrinsics on RHEL/CentOS, as it requires around 200
different PERL-module dependencies.
I've never installed it on anything other than FreeBSD (FreeBSD now
provides all of the modules in it's ports-system)
When I have to update it, or PERL, or some of the modules, I usually
wipe the whole PERL-installation and install it from scratch.
I also use a VMware-instance as test-platform.

There is a book about RT from O'Reilly. It's old, but not ancient and
teaches the concepts quite well.
The rest can be gained from reading the mailing-list and the wiki.

How fast do you need to get it up and running?

Best Regards,
Rainer