[CentOS] Adobe Flash Install Woes

Sun Mar 29 16:59:05 UTC 2009

On 3/29/09, Chuck <chuck.carson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Chuck <chuck.carson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Lanny Marcus
>> <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>wrote:
<snip>

>> Yes adobe flash player is the one I can't get working. Shockwave came
>> default. Here is the version I am running: (with all updates)
>>
>> Linux billabong 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 #1 SMP Tue Dec 16 12:03:43 EST 2008
>> i686
>> i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>>
>> billabong: ==> file /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
>> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object,
>> Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped
>>
>> billabong:~ ==> ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
>> total 0
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Mar 29 08:41 libflashplayer.so ->
>> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
>>
>> billabong:~ ==> rpm --verify flash-plugin && echo $?
>> 0
>>
>> I have tried the rpm install and the manual install of adobe flash... md5
>> of both binaries is the same.

> Well I can't seem to download a viable firefox tarball... I've just
> downloaded to 3 different machines (one vista, one xp, and my centos server)

Why do you want to download a tarball? Installing from a tarball, when
an RPM is available, is strongly discouraged, in the documentation
available on centos.org  If you want to change the Source code, get
the SRPM.  Have you uninstalled the Firefox RPM? If so "yum install
firefox" will get a new copy for you.  I am not positive, but I think
that after I installed one Firefox Plugin that didn't work, someone on
the list gave me a command, to get it up and running. If that's the
case, I don't remember the command, but you may be able to search the
archives or on the Mozilla Support site for information about that. GL