[CentOS] Getting ready for CentOS 5.4

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Mar 29 19:46:35 UTC 2009

Robert Nichols wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Michael A. Peters wrote:
>>> Wow, I really must be out of the loop. New versions of RHEL every 4-6
>>> months?
>>>
>>> Damn. I left Fedora because their release schedule was too frequent ...
>> The Fedora releases change behavior wildly with each release.  The point
>> of enterprise versions is that they maintain backwards compatibility
>> even if they add some new features.
>
> Yes, the RHEL releases are akin to the service packs of MS Windows.  You'll
> get some new features and a few changes, but it'll still be the same basic
> system.  Fedora releases are more like moving from Windows XP to Vista, or
> more precisely, from a reasonably mature Windows XP to a Beta release of
> Vista.

My comment was joke - RHEL releases don't come out every 4-6 months (not
for a major version anyway).

I do wish though that EPEL had a better policy, there have been several
occasions when I have had had to recompile something of my own for the
simple reason that EPEL versioned a shared library.

The Firefox 1.5 to 3.0 move in RHEL was at least understandable, there
was good reason for that, but some of the EPEL changes - I think they
leave it to the discretion of the packager but it's annoying.