[CentOS] live audio feed via telephone link

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 15:45:49 UTC 2009

Lanny Marcus wrote:
>>> It sounds like this location is just begging for wimax or some other
>>> suitable internet service.  What kind of place can support a radio
>>> station but not an internet presence these days?
>> the original poster indicated the FM station was on an American Indian
>> reservation in a very remote canyon, and the ONLY phone lines available
>> were 2 pairs of LONG haul copper POTS lines, one currently used by the
>> stations telephone service, the other available for modem use.   They
>> are using a microwave link to get from the station to the hilltop
>> transmitter, but that the nearest 'real' town with a telephone CO that
>> would support any sort of real internet service is way too far away for
>> FM reception, even with a directional yagi.
> The OP is in Saskatchewan, Canada. Hopefully, as a later poster
> suggested, the Canadian government has some $ available, to contribute
>  for this project. I believe the distance is much too far for WiMax,
> even if it were line of sight, which is not the case here.

If the station generates any unique content that would still be
interesting a day or two later (i.e. not just another DJ talking over
the same music everyone else plays), perhaps they could package recorded
shows as podcasts and ship them on CD/DVD/flash card to a location where
they could be uploaded to a server.  I almost never listen to radio or
even real time streaming anymore because it is so much easier to fit
podcasts into your schedule.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com