[CentOS] Adobe Flash Install Woes

Sun Mar 29 14:23:38 UTC 2009
Chuck <chuck.carson at gmail.com>

I am having a hell of a time getting adobe flash to work on a recent 5.2
install.

>From rpm install:
Running firefox as root -- I have verified there is a symlink in
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins that points to the actual plugin located in
/usr/lib/flash-plugins
nada.

SoI then copied the plugin directly into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and
eliminated the symlink from the equation.
nada.

I then installed the plugin into the $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/ directory of a
normal user (and making sure everything was read/executable by that user).
nada.

At no time does the adobe flash pugin ever appear in the plugins panel when
viewing Tools->Addons from within the browser. I see no errors or any logs
of any kind getting generated anywhere.

An rpm check of both firefox and the flash plugin return with no complaints.

I see scads of posts on google regarding other adobe flash player woes but
none of the solutions i've found so far work.

Since most of the sites I require access to, even metalink, required adobe
flash this is a show stopper for me.

Thanks for any help,
CC