[CentOS] trying to install 5.2 on a laptop

Sun Mar 1 17:59:19 UTC 2009
Michael Klinosky <mpk2 at enter.net>

Kwan Lowe wrote:
> Have you verified if the synaptics package itself is installed:
>
>   rpm -q synaptics

'not installed'. Is there more to this package than just the library (.so)?

> If not, is this laptop connected to the Internet?  If so, you can do:
>
>    yum -y install synaptics
>
> This will install the synaptics package, though doesn't install the module.

hmmm ... I didn't think of that (along with a few other readers!)

Ok, it's installed ... reboot.

YES!!!!  :)   :)  It at least boots properly!  Thaaaaaank you!

Like I mentioned, I'm new-ish to linux. And, I use the gui exclusively.
So, it never occured to me to install in runlevel=3. I figured that I'd
have to get it to boot somehow, then use Applications > Add/Remove
Software. Same with vi - it just occurred to me that I could have easily
tried 'man vi'.

> The main things you need to verify are the following sections in the xorg.conf:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier     "Layout0"
>     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>     Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"

One difference from yours -
Identifier   "Default Layout"
Does that matter?
Also, I don't have Screen 1 - I guess because I didn't set up multiple
screens.

> Section "InputDevice"

Same as yours.